1st European Training School of the European Network for Environmental Citizenship (ENEC) Cost Action CA16229
“Pedagogical Approaches on Education for Environmental Citizenship”
24-25 October 2018
A. Call for Proposals
The European Network for Environmental Citizenship (ENEC) aims to improve understanding and assessment of environmental citizenship in European societies and participating countries. A key dimension of ENEC is Education for Environmental Citizenship (EEC). This is the focus of the first ENEC training school for PhD candidates and Early Career Investigators. Participants will be expected to attend and participate at the Training School on both days, and will be given the opportunity to take part in workshops related to the theme of the Training School, present and discuss their work, and network with other ECIs, the TS trainers and the members of the second ENEC Cost Action meeting that follows the Training School.
Training School dates: 24-25 October 2018, Lisbon, Portugal
Host Institution: Instituto de Educação da Universidade de Lisboa
To be eligible to apply you should demonstrate the following in your application:
a) You are a PhD Student or an Early Career Investigator (ECI), in the field of Environmental Citizenship or Education for Environmental Citizenship [ECI is defined by COST as “An individual who is within a time span of up to 8 years from the date they obtained their PhD/doctorate (full-time equivalent)”].
b) Provide a letter of recommendation for your participation to the Training School.
c) You must be engaged in an official research programme as a PhD Student or postdoctoral fellow or are employed by, or affiliated to, an institution, organisation or legal entity which has within its remit a clear association with performing research.
d) Trainees eligible for reimbursement:
1. Trainees from COST Full Members / COST Cooperating Members.
2. Trainees from Approved Near-Neighbour Country Institutions.
3. Trainees from Approved European RTD Organisations.
e) Trainees not eligible to be reimbursed:
1. Trainees from COST Partner Members.
2. Trainees from Approved IPC Institutions.
3. Trainees from Approved IO, EU Commission, Bodies, Offices and Agencies.
4. Other Trainees not specifically mentioned as being eligible.
For further details see: http://www.cost.eu/download/64398
Up to 20 applicants will be accepted for participation. Participants will be expected to pay for their traveling, accommodation and other eligible expenses, and will then be reimbursed based on COST reimbursement rules. According to the COST Action Reimbursement rules, the amount afforded to each eligible trainee must respect the following considerations:
1. Each trainee must register for an e-COST profile at https://e-services.cost.eu – each trainee must add their bank details to their e-COST profile.
2. The total Grant awarded to each eligible trainee cannot exceed 1,030.00 euros (for this specific Training School).
3. The amount allocated for accommodation and meal expenses cannot exceed EUR 160 per day.
Reimbursement rules for COST Action can be found here: http://www.cost.eu/download/64398
D. Important dates
Opening Date for Applications is Monday 2 July 2018.
The deadline for applications is 20 August 2018. Please send all the application materials to the Training School Coordinator: Dr Andri Christodoulou, ECI Coordinator of ENEC (email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org, please use both email addresses).
You will be informed of the outcome of the application by 7 September 2018. If accepted you will be expected to attend both days of the training school.
The training school will take place at the Instituto de Educação da Universidade de Lisboa (http://www.ie.ulisboa.pt/contactos). This venue is just a 3-minute walk from the Metro station “Cidade Universitária” (https://www.metrolisboa.pt/en/). Details about registering for accommodation will be provided upon notification of your acceptance (registration for accommodation will have to be completed by 15 September 2018).
F. Evaluation Criteria
1. Eligible trainee (see section B).
2. Relevance of the candidate’s’ research and background to ENEC COST Action’s scope and aims.
3. Relevance of the candidate’s’ research and background to the 1st European Training School of ENEC Cost Action.
4. COST ACTION Gender equality principle.
5. COST ACTION Inclusiveness principle (Geographical spread includes less research-intensive COST Member States, also known as COST Inclusiveness Target Countries (ITCs): Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Croatia, Hungary, Lithuania, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Montenegro, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Republic of Serbia and Turkey).
G. Timetable and Useful Information
Click to Download the Application Form:
Socio-scientific inquiry based learning: a pedagogical approach to promoting Education for Environmental Citizenship, Dr. Marie-Christine Knippels, Assistant Professor in Biology Education, Freudenthal Institute, Utrecht University, The Netherlands, Dr Andri Christodoulou, Lecturer in Education, Southampton Education School, University of Southampton, UK
The Merits and Limits of the Ecological Footprint as a Pedagogical Tool for the Promotion of Environmental Citizenship, Dr Benito Cao, Senior Lecturer in Politics, The University of Adelaide, Australia.